Dental implants can improve the health and the appearance of your smile
We offer dental implants in Herndon, Virginia, as a versatile, predictable and lasting restoration option. Dental implants are typically made of titanium, one of the most compatible materials available today. A dental implant consists of an abutment that takes the place of the tooth’s root. The head of the abutment then sticks out from the gum and, once healed, is restored with the restoration of your choice. Most patients opt for a dental crown, but a partial denture or bridge can also be used.
Steps in Implant Treatment
There are many steps that need to be taken to provide you with the best possible care, including:
• Dental implant consultation
• CT scan
• Surgical guide
• Sedation and oral surgery
• Tissue and bone development around the implant with a temporary restoration
• Final restoration
Before the implant is surgically placed, our dentists and team take a 3D scan of your mouth’s anatomy. We use this scan to study the structures, sinuses and nerves of your mouth. This helps us ensure that your implant is placed properly. We also cover in depth the surgical aspect of your care and discuss with you what your sedation options are. Our goal is to give you a seamless, comfortable experience.
After completing your consultation and CT scan, our team will create a personalized treatment plan with details about the exact placement of your upcoming implant. We will make a surgical guide using information from your CT scan to 3D print a surgical guide model.
To help you feel comfortable throughout the procedure, our team offers sedation options like nitrous oxide, conscious sedation or IV sedation.
- Nitrous Oxide – Also known as laughing gas, nitrous oxide (N20) is a sedative that can be used to help you feel more relaxed. When you breath in this nitrogen-oxygen mixture, you will feel a euphoric sensation that can help you remain calm throughout your treatment. This method of sedation is very safe and short term. The effects wear off within minutes of your mask being removed.
- Conscious Sedation – This method of sedation is administered via pill. This pill will be taken prior to your visit and help you to feel relaxed and at ease during your appointment. You will remain conscious using this method, but you will experience a necessary amnesic effect. Prior to receiving this type of sedation, our dentists will give you specific instructions that you need to closely follow. You will also need to bring someone with you to your appointment that you are using conscious sedation for, as you will not be able to drive.
- IV Sedation – An anesthesiologist will administer this sedation method and remain to monitor the process if it is determined to be necessary. Make sure to follow all instructions given if you are getting IV sedation.
How Long Does Implant Treatment Take?
In order to help you feel comfortable throughout the procedure, our team offers sedation options like nitrous oxide, conscious sedation or IV sedation. Each one of these options has its own effects and benefits.
What Is Recovery Like After Having a Dental Implant Placed?
The recovery for a dental implant procedure depends on many factors, and everyone heals at their own rate. You will be given clear, detailed post-operative instructions, and we encourage you to call our GoSmiles Dentistry office at 703-689-3900 if you experience any abnormal or concerning side effects.
The following post-operative instructions can help you recover quickly and comfortably. These post-operative instructions include:
• You can alleviate discomfort with painkillers like ibuprofen. The standard recommendation is 600mg every eight hours. If your pain hasn’t been alleviated, call our office to speak with our team about other options.
• Place icepacks on the mouth as soon as you get home to keep swelling down.
• Rinse your mouth with warm saltwater two to three times per day.
• Avoid eating foods that aggravate the surgical site.
• Rest as much as possible and avoid strenuous activities for a week after surgery.